Thursday, 29 January 2015

Healthy dinner

Hello,

I actually cooked! I've cooked quite a few times in the last few weeks so I'm pretty proud of myself!
In this post I said that if I cooked any healthy meals that I thought went pretty well I would blog them, I'm not sure how healthy this meal really is but it seems healthy enough to me and is gluten free!

picture taken from my cook book (see below)

Chicken with Cornmeal Dumplings

serves 4
Ingredients
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into small pieces
  • 4 teaspoons Cajun spice blend
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 100g smokes streaky bacon, chopped
  • 2 peppers
  • 200ml Chicken Stock
  • 4 small tomatoes, skinned and quartered
  • 100ml double cream
  • salt and pepper


Dumplings ingredients
  • 125g self-raising flour
  • 125g cornmeal (cornflour)
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
  • 75g cheddar cheese, grated
  • 50g butter, melted
  • 1 egg
  • 100ml milk

  1. Heat the oil in a large, shallow flameproof casserole and fry the chicken pieces for about 5 minutes until lightly browned. Stir in the spice blend and cook for a further minute. Drain to a plate. (We started everything off in a large wok and moved it into a casserole dish just before it went into the oven)
  2. Add the onion, bacon and peppers and fry, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes or until beginning to colour.
  3. Return the chicken to the casserole (here's where we put everything into the dish) and stir in the stock and a little seasoning. Bring to the boil, cover with a lid and bake in a preheated oven, 180 degrees C (350 Fahrenheit), Gas mark 4, for 45 minutes until the chicken is tender.
  4. Meanwhile, prepare the dumplings. Mix together the flour, cornmeal (cornflour), chilli flakes, coriander and cheese in a bowl. Beat the butter with the egg and milk and add to the bowl. Mix together to make a thick paste that is fairly sticky but holds its shape. (We found this only took about 15 minutes so started it after the chicken had been in for half an hour).
  5. Stir the tomatoes and cream into the chicken mixture and season to taste. Put spoonfuls of the dumpling mixture over the top (we found this easier to do if we made the dumplings with our hands and places them on the top, they sink into the mixture a bit). Return to the over, uncovered, for a further 30 minutes or until the dumplings have slightly risen and formed a firm crust.
It actually came out pretty much looking like the picture in the book which is unusual when I cook! I found it fairly easy to cook (I still had help but for a beginner I think that's fair enough). It was really yummy and everyone really loved it! 

The cook book that I got it from was this student cook book that I got for Christmas. There are loads of really yummy recipes in it and it even has a section specifically for healthy recipes! The pages are set out really clearly and they even give an 'affordability rating' out of three for each recipe, this one was a 2. 




For now, thank you and goodbye,
Emily
xx


24 comments:

  1. Definitely need to try this, thanks tor sharing

    Candice | Beauty Candy Loves

    ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! It was very good!
      You're welcome & thanks for the comment :)
      Emily
      xx

      Delete

  2. Interesting!
    Would you like to follow each other on GFC? Please let me know if you’re up for it :)

    Anastasia
    astbakay.blogspot.ru

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need this book in my life!! I never know what to cook xx

    Abi | abistreetx.blogspot.co.uk - Don't forget to check out my giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do! It's really helpful!
      Emily
      xx

      Delete
  4. lovely blog post had a great read :)

    love your blog :)

    new post –> http://myroutinesjade.blogspot.co.uk/ would love to see a comment

    My blogloving https://www.bloglovin.com/people/jadebevan-5833747 i follow everyone back who follows me :)

    have a nice day

    Jade

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh yum! I need to get back in the kitchen and cooking for sure. I love anything with dumplings and that sounds like a fab cookbook - I can always do with a good bargain! x

    Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's great!
      Thanks so much for the comment!
      Emily
      xx

      Delete
  6. Wow you cooked and it looks amazing! That cookbook would be great to flick through - might have to have a gander in the shops for it actually!
    I also cooked last night - a pasta for my family and they actually enjoyed it! I was surprised! Normally my foods too spicy or too amateur for them!!

    http://www.mystery-girl007.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You should!
      Well done, that's great!
      Emily
      xx

      Delete
  7. Wow it looks lovely and its a great post as well. The book looks great too!
    Amber
    xx
    http://www.amberoseblogs.co.uk/
    Urban Foot Print

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look so nice! Emily you're making me hungry! I will have to try these

    Meme xx

    Latest post out now 'Waterstones Mini Haul'
    http://thedayinthelifeofmexoxo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this looks lovely, well done! :)

    http://lux-rose.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Emily! I just came here to let you know that I have nominated you for the Liebster Award! Link: http://thislittleblogofours.blogspot.com.au/2015/01/liebster-award-nomination.html

    Paige xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I have already done it so I will just add your questions onto my post!
      Emily
      xx

      Delete
  11. This sounds really nice, I've never had anything like it before! I've nominated you for the Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award, here's the link: http://www.hanniemc.co.uk/2015/02/sisterhood-of-world-bloggers-award.html
    Hope you have a great day :)
    Hannah x
    Hanniemc.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good!
      Ooohh thank you, I'll check that out now!
      Emily
      xx

      Delete
  12. Yum! I might just try this out!
    Thanks for sharing :)

    http://jessica-jem.blogspot.co.nz/ ✿

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome :)
      Thanks for the comment!
      Emily
      xx

      Delete